How do I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in New Jersey?

June 4, 2024

You never walk into work expecting to get hurt. For those of you who have recently been injured while on the clock, you’re most likely facing lost wages and expensive medical bills. Unfortunately, life doesn’t stop after you’ve been injured, and it can be extremely overwhelming to deal with the onslaught of costs associated with being out of work. In order to alleviate some of that stress, find out what steps you need to take to file a workers’ compensation claim below. 

Seek Medical Treatment

The most important thing to do after a workplace injury is to seek medical attention. Not only is this important to address your ailments, but it is a major component in moving forward with a workers’ compensation claim. If you don’t get a pre-authorization for medical treatment beforehand, your medical costs won’t be covered through workers’ compensation. However, if your workplace injury requires emergency treatment, you do not need to get your employer’s authorization beforehand. 

Be Honest and Follow the Doctor’s Orders

When you meet with the doctor, it’s important to be completely honest about how your injury was sustained. Oftentimes, workers may be afraid to reveal all the details of how an accident happened for fear of losing their job but it’s important to remember that workers’ compensation in New Jersey is a no-fault system. This means that even if your injury was your fault, you’re still entitled to collect compensation. 

Furthermore, your doctor will need to know for billing purposes that your medical expenses will be paid through workers’ compensation insurance. Failing to adhere to your doctor’s orders or missing appointments can put your compensation in jeopardy. 

Alert Your Employer About the Injury

Even though New Jersey workers have 90 days to report their injury to their employer, it’s important to remember to do this as soon as possible. Although it is not required to put the notice of the injury in writing, it’s recommended to do so anyway. Be sure to include as much information in your notice as possible including the date and time the accident occurred, the names of any witnesses, where you were, and what you were doing. Be sure to make a copy of this notice for your own records. 

Check the Status of Your Claim

After you alert your employer of the injury, either they or their workers’ compensation insurer must file a First Report of Injury form with the New Jersey Division of Workers’ Compensation. This form must be submitted within 21 days after you initially submitted your notice. Far too often, workers trust that their workers’ compensation claim is being handled properly, only to find out that they missed the window to collect. Always check the status of your claim and if you’re being given the runaround or find out that your claim was denied, contact an experienced attorney who can get involved and make sure you’re getting the compensation you deserve. 

Contact a Trenton Workers’ Compensation Lawyer to Discuss Your New Jersey Workplace Injury Case

A workplace injury can be devastating, particularly if it prevents you from returning to work for an extended period of time. Although NJ Workers’ Compensation is supposed to provide you with reimbursement for medical expenses and replacement pay for missed time at work, it is not always easy to get the Workers’ Comp benefits you deserve. That is why you should speak with a knowledgeable Workers’ Compensation lawyer about your situation and get guidance throughout the claims process. The experienced Workers’ Compensation attorneys at Hartman Duff, LLC represent clients in Mercer County and across New Jersey. Call (609) 359-0452 or fill out our online contact form today to schedule a consultation about your work injury case. Our main office is located at 2681 Quakerbridge Rd Trenton NJ 08619.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.